Subject: Re: bug#14967: 24.3.50; package-delete deletes by trashing?

From: Alex <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 13:45:59 -0600

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> No. But the people who do and commented in this report don't want it to
>>> apply to packages. So I think it's worth thinking, before adding a new
>>> option, if anyone actually wants the current behaviour.
>> Fine with me.  All I said was that if we do add a variable, it should
>> be a defcustom; defvar makes little sense to me.
>
> Maybe the most effective way to "ask" users is to just change the code
> so it doesn't use the trash system (mentioning it in NEWS, of course).
> And then wait to see if someone complains.
>
>
>         Stefan

Is that a good idea for new behaviour that results in potential data
loss (from the view of a user that expects `package-delete' to trash
files rather than outright deleting them)? It might be easy to gloss
over an entry in NEWS, after all.

I don't like the default behaviour myself, so I don't personally care
either way.