Subject: Re: bug#14964: 24.3.50; doc of `compare-window-configurations'

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 15:42:52 +0200

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

>> The doc doesn't tell you enough about what this function does to be able
>> to use it.  Compare how?  What does a non-nil or nil return value mean?
>> Does the order of the two arguments matter?  What's going on here?  What
>> for?
>
> I never understood the purpose of this function.  Does anyone use it?

It's used in only one place in-tree:

(defun strokes-window-configuration-changed-p ()
  "Non-nil if the `strokes-window-configuration' frame properties changed.
This is based on the last time `strokes-window-configuration' was updated."
  (compare-window-configurations (current-window-configuration)
				 strokes-window-configuration))

Anyway, perhaps it would make sense to rename it to
`window-configuration-equal-p'?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no