Subject: Re: bug#14964: 24.3.50; doc of `compare-window-configurations'

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 10:40:31 +0200

> So based on that info I do not understand why this was ever added as a Lisp
 > function.  Perhaps someone thought we might do more with it in the future?
 > Or perhaps it was thought that this would be faster than calling `equal' etc.,
 > which have to test a few things before then get to invoking this.
 >
 > Whatever the rationale, this function has been around for a long time.

Maybe the idea was to not create anew a configuration that was already
saved.

 > 3. I would also like to see functions that accept or produce window and frame
 > configurations optionally accept and produce also Lisp-readable equivalents.
 >
 > IOW, today, such configurations always use actual window and frame objects,
 > which are not Lisp-readable.  I would like to see them optionally (e.g. via
 > optional arguments) use Lisp-readable frame and window states.  IOW, make
 > it simple to persist such configurations.

With window states I tried to approximate window configurations as close
as possible.  I don't know enough about frames to do the same for them.
I bet that currently Juanma knows best whether this can be done in some
reasonable way.

martin