Subject: bug#14957: 24.3.50; Flyspell language visible in mode line

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 14:05:43 -0500

>      (setq-default mode-line-format
>                    (cons
>                     '(:eval
>                       (let ((dict (and (featurep 'ispell)
>                                        (not buffer-read-only)
>                                        (or ispell-local-dictionary
>                                            ispell-dictionary))))
>                         (and dict
>                              (propertize (concat " [" (substring dict 0 2) "]")
>                                          'face 'mode-line-highlight))))
>                     (default-value 'mode-line-format)))

The "(:eval ...)" thingy should be in ispell.el (maybe in a variable
`ispell-mode-line-dictionary').  Also it should have some mouse-face
property along with a keymap property that lets the user cycle between
his usual dictionaries with a mouse click.

Of course, the question remains of where to put it on the mode-line and
whether to enable it by default.  The mode line is pretty damn crowded
already.

        Stefan