Subject: 24.3.50; (elisp) `The Mark': mention that mouse selection turns on `transient-mark-mode' temporarily

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 07:41:14 -0700 (PDT)

The doc says nothing about selection with the mouse activating the
region and turning on `transient-mark-mode' temporarily.  But it
does so.

emacs -Q
In *scratch* type this:

 transient-mark-mode
 (region-active-p)
 mark-active

M-: transient-mark-mode ; to turn it off - verify with C-h v.

Put cursor after each of the sexps and hit C-x C-e.  Now select each one
using only the mouse and use C-x C-e again for each.

Selecting with the mouse turns on `transient-mark-mode', at least
temporarily - the non-nil value is `(only)'.

Lisp users should be informed about this.  For one thing, they will not
otherwise understand certain code, including `region-active-p', wrt
mouse selection.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2013-07-14 on ODIEONE
Bzr revision: 113423 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/c/Devel/emacs/binary --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
 CFLAGS='-O0 -g3' CPPFLAGS='-Ic:/Devel/emacs/include'
 LDFLAGS='-Lc:/Devel/emacs/lib''