Subject: emacs -nw inserts unwanted chars if user is impatient

From: Paul R <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 22:39:28 +0100

Hi,

I usually work on X version of emacs 23. However, sometime, I just want
to alter a config file from the terminal. In this case I type 

   emacs -nw conf_file.conf

Very often I know that the line I want to go to is fairly low so before
emacs has finished to load I'm already pressing C-n waiting for the
display to show line and point. I guess a lot of user do the same and
often don't wait for the display to finish before typing what they want.

In this particular case, emacs would insert strange chars at point, for
example : 1;1704;0c

You won't be warned, and it will be saved along with your real
modifications, which is embarassing.

To reproduce, open any multiline file from the terminal, for example
.bash_history, with 'emacs -nw' and immediatly maintain C-n until the
display come up entirely. You should find at point the strange chars.

Tested with emacs23cvs with -Q on Gnu/Linux with xterm and
gnome-terminal.

-- 
  Paul