Subject: bug#1495 closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> (Re: emacs -nw inserts unwanted chars if user is impatient)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#1494: emacs -nw inserts unwanted chars if user is impatient

It has been closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
1494: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=1494
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems
>From [email-masked] Fri Dec  5 19:57:12 2008
From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: emacs -nw inserts unwanted chars if user is impatient
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 22:57:12 -0500

I don't see any other way to handle this, so I've checked in the fix
involving discarding pending input before reading the reply to the
terminal attributes query.

>From [email-masked] Thu Dec  4 13:46:27 2008
From: Paul R <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: emacs -nw inserts unwanted chars if user is impatient
Package: emacs
Version: 23
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 22:46:20 +0100

Hi,

I usually work on X version of emacs 23. However, sometime, I just want
to alter a config file from the terminal. In this case I type 

   emacs -nw conf_file.conf

Very often I know that the line I want to go to is fairly low so before
emacs has finished to load I'm already pressing C-n waiting for the
display to show line and point. I guess a lot of user do the same and
often don't wait for the display to finish before typing what they want.

In this particular case, emacs would insert strange chars at point, for
example : 1;1704;0c

You won't be warned, and it will be saved along with your real
modifications, which is embarassing.

To reproduce, open any multiline file from the terminal, for example
.bash_history, with 'emacs -nw' and immediatly maintain C-n until the
display come up entirely. You should find at point the strange chars.

Tested with emacs23cvs with -Q on Gnu/Linux with xterm and
gnome-terminal.

-- 
  Paul