Subject: Re: bug#14920: 24.3.50; Move search menu items to Search menu

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 15:09:47 +0200

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> Menu `Tools' is overloaded and becoming a catch-all - a place to throw
> stuff that one doesn't want to take the time to find a good place for.
>
> Search stuff should all be moved to menu `Search'.  This includes, e.g.,
> `Search Files (grep)' and `Directory Search' (not sure of this one,
> since this submenu seems to be a hodgepodge of directory-service
> commands and is not limited to directory-service _search_ - see bug
> #14919).

"Directory Search" has been renamed -- it's not about search.

> I also recommend moving menu `Search' to the top level, out from under
> `Edit', and moving menu `Replace' under `Search' (it would be search and
> replace, but a top-level menu name needs to be short).

Hm...  It's odd that "Search" is under edit, perhaps.  I mean, you want
to be able to search in non-editing modes, too.

Replace wouldn't be that natural in non-editing modes, but...

> I also recommend moving menus `Bookmarks' and `Go To' under top-level
> menu `Search'.
>
> Menu `Search' might also include submenu `Spell Checking'.  If that is
> not moved to `Search' it should be moved to `Edit' from `Tools'.

Hm...  not sure...

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no