Subject: 24.3.50; Bad menu name: `Directory Search'. Misleading terminology used.

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 17:24:24 -0700 (PDT)

This menu is apparently about directory services or directory servers.
It should be called something appropriate.

In Emacs generally, "directory" means a file-system directory - a
folder.  A directory service such as LDAP is something quite different,
and this menu name is misleading.  Consider perhaps `Directory Services'
or `Directory Servers'.

It is important to look at all of Emacs when coming up with a menu name
or even a command name.  It is a big mistake to look only inside an
individual Lisp library, which might well use terminology limited to a
particular domain.  Even then, when adding such a file to Emacs, the
file should be cleaned up to remove any ambiguity or confusion.

In this file, most of the occurrences of "directory" are followed by
"server", which is fine.  But there are some, including the first
lines of doc strings, that are not and that promote confusion.  E.g.,

eudc-format-attribute-name-for-display:
"Format a directory attribute name for display."

eudc-print-attribute-value:
"Insert the value of the directory FIELD at point."

And there are others, particularly referring to "directory queries".
Better to call these "directory service queries" etc.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2013-07-14 on ODIEONE
Bzr revision: 113423 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/c/Devel/emacs/binary --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
 CFLAGS='-O0 -g3' CPPFLAGS='-Ic:/Devel/emacs/include'
 LDFLAGS='-Lc:/Devel/emacs/lib''