Subject: bug#14911: automake-1.14 t/ccnoco-lt failure on OS X

From: Nick Bowler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 17:24:58 -0400

On 2013-07-19 11:48 -0400, Hanspeter Niederstrasser wrote:
> On OS X 10.7, t/ccnoco-lt fails with the following error (from 
> test-suite.log).  For completeness sake, t/depcomp2 also failed, but I 
> applied the patch from #14706 and that allowed depcomp2 to pass.
> 
> ------- 8< ------- 8< ------- 8< -------
> 
> FAIL: t/ccnoco-lt
> =================
[...]
> libtool: link: 
> /sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ccnoco-lt.dir/compile /sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ax/cc-no-c-o 
> -dynamiclib -Wl,-undefined -Wl,dynamic_lookup -o .libs/libwish.0.dylib 
> .libs/libwish.o   -L/sw/lib  -O2   -install_name 
> /usr/local/lib/libwish.0.dylib -compatibility_version 1 -current_version 
> 1.0 -Wl,-single_module
> /sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ax/cc-no-c-o: both 
> '-o' and '-c' seen on the command line
> make: *** [libwish.la] Error 2

Looks like a false negative to me.

Automake uses a deliberately-crippled compiler wrapper which is designed
to reject command-lines with -c and -o for testing purposes, found in
automake/t/ax/cc-no-c-o.  The problem appears to be that the wrapper's
test of the command line arguments is too simplistic, and incorrectly
considers the above command line as a using both -c and -o, when it
clearly does not.

So the test will need to be made more robust.

Cheers,
-- 
Nick Bowler, Elliptic Technologies (http://www.elliptictech.com/)