Subject: automake-1.14 t/ccnoco-lt failure on OS X

From: Hanspeter Niederstrasser <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 11:48:35 -0400

On OS X 10.7, t/ccnoco-lt fails with the following error (from 
test-suite.log).  For completeness sake, t/depcomp2 also failed, but I 
applied the patch from #14706 and that allowed depcomp2 to pass.

------- 8< ------- 8< ------- 8< -------

FAIL: t/ccnoco-lt
=================

ccnoco-lt: running libtoolize --version
libtoolize (GNU libtool) 2.4.2
Written by Gary V. Vaughan <[email-masked]>, 2003

Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Running from installcheck: no
Test Protocol: none
PATH = 
/sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/wrap:/sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ax:/sw/var/lib/fink/path-prefix-clang:/sw/lib/perl5/ExtUtils:/sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin
++ pwd
/sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ccnoco-lt.dir
+ cat
+ cat
+ cat
+ CC=/sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ax/cc-no-c-o
+ export CC
+ libtoolize --verbose --install
libtoolize: putting auxiliary files in `.'.
libtoolize: linking file from `/sw/share/libtool/config/config.guess'
libtoolize: linking file from `/sw/share/libtool/config/config.sub'
libtoolize: `/sw/share/libtool/config/install-sh' is serial 
2011.01.19.21, less than 2011.11.20.07 in `./install-sh'
libtoolize: linking file from `/sw/share/libtool/config/ltmain.sh'
libtoolize: AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR not defined, not copying libtool macros.
libtoolize: You should add the contents of the following files to 
`aclocal.m4':
libtoolize:   `/sw/share/aclocal/libtool.m4'
libtoolize:   `/sw/share/aclocal/ltoptions.m4'
libtoolize:   `/sw/share/aclocal/ltversion.m4'
libtoolize:   `/sw/share/aclocal/ltsugar.m4'
libtoolize:   `/sw/share/aclocal/lt~obsolete.m4'
libtoolize: Consider adding `AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4])' to configure.ac and
libtoolize: rerunning libtoolize, to keep the correct libtool macros 
in-tree.
libtoolize: Consider adding `-I m4' to ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS in Makefile.am.
+ aclocal-1.14 -Werror
+ autoconf
+ automake-1.14 --foreign -Werror -Wall --copy --add-missing
configure.ac:5: installing './ar-lib'
+ for vpath in : false
+ :
+ srcdir=..
+ mkdir build
+ cd build
+ ../configure
rm: conftest.dSYM: is a directory
Apple LLVM version 4.2 (clang-425.0.28) (based on LLVM 3.2svn)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin11.4.2
Thread model: posix
+ cat stdout
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... ../install-sh -c -d
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... no
checking for nawk... no
checking for awk... awk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking whether make supports nested variables... yes
checking for gcc... 
/sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ax/cc-no-c-o
checking whether the C compiler works... yes
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether 
/sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ax/cc-no-c-o accepts 
-g... yes
checking for 
/sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ax/cc-no-c-o option 
to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking whether 
/sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ax/cc-no-c-o 
understands -c and -o together... no
checking for style of include used by make... GNU
checking dependency style of 
/sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ccnoco-lt.dir/compile /sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ax/cc-no-c-o... 
gcc3
checking for ar... ar
checking the archiver (ar) interface... ar
checking build system type... x86_64-apple-darwin11.4.2
checking host system type... x86_64-apple-darwin11.4.2
checking how to print strings... printf
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /usr/bin/sed
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /usr/bin/grep
checking for egrep... /usr/bin/grep -E
checking for fgrep... /usr/bin/grep -F
checking for ld used by 
/sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ccnoco-lt.dir/compile /sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ax/cc-no-c-o... 
/usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... no
checking for BSD- or MS-compatible name lister (nm)... /usr/bin/nm
checking the name lister (/usr/bin/nm) interface... BSD nm
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 196608
checking whether the shell understands some XSI constructs... yes
checking whether the shell understands "+="... yes
checking how to convert x86_64-apple-darwin11.4.2 file names to 
x86_64-apple-darwin11.4.2 format... func_convert_file_noop
checking how to convert x86_64-apple-darwin11.4.2 file names to 
toolchain format... func_convert_file_noop
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for objdump... objdump
checking how to recognize dependent libraries... pass_all
checking for dlltool... no
checking how to associate runtime and link libraries... printf %s\n
checking for archiver @FILE support... no
checking for strip... strip
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm output from 
/sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ccnoco-lt.dir/compile /sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ax/cc-no-c-o 
object... ok
checking for sysroot... no
checking for mt... no
checking if : is a manifest tool... no
checking for dsymutil... dsymutil
checking for nmedit... nmedit
checking for lipo... lipo
checking for otool... otool
checking for otool64... no
checking for -single_module linker flag... yes
checking for -exported_symbols_list linker flag... yes
checking for -force_load linker flag... yes
checking how to run the C preprocessor... 
/sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ccnoco-lt.dir/compile /sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ax/cc-no-c-o 
-E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking for objdir... .libs
checking if 
/sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ccnoco-lt.dir/compile /sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ax/cc-no-c-o 
supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... yes
checking for 
/sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ccnoco-lt.dir/compile /sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ax/cc-no-c-o 
option to produce PIC... -fno-common -DPIC
checking if 
/sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ccnoco-lt.dir/compile /sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ax/cc-no-c-o 
PIC flag -fno-common -DPIC works... yes
checking if 
/sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ccnoco-lt.dir/compile /sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ax/cc-no-c-o 
static flag -static works... no
checking if 
/sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ccnoco-lt.dir/compile /sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ax/cc-no-c-o 
supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if 
/sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ccnoco-lt.dir/compile /sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ax/cc-no-c-o 
supports -c -o file.o... (cached) yes
checking whether the 
/sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ccnoco-lt.dir/compile /sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ax/cc-no-c-o 
linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... darwin11.4.2 dyld
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediate
checking whether stripping libraries is possible... yes
checking if libtool supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether to build shared libraries... yes
checking whether to build static libraries... yes
Apple LLVM version 4.2 (clang-425.0.28) (based on LLVM 3.2svn)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin11.4.2
Thread model: posix
checking that generated files are newer than configure... done
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: executing depfiles commands
config.status: executing libtool commands
+ /usr/bin/grep -E 'understands? -c and -o together.* no$' stdout
checking whether 
/sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ax/cc-no-c-o 
understands -c and -o together... no
++ grep '.*-c['\''" ].*-o['\''" ]' stdout
++ /usr/bin/grep -F -v ' -c -o file.o'
++ wc -l
+ test 1 -eq 1
+ grep '^checking if .*/compile .*supports -c -o file\.o\.\.\. yes' stdout
checking if 
/sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ccnoco-lt.dir/compile /sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ax/cc-no-c-o 
supports -c -o file.o... yes
+ make
/bin/sh ./libtool  --tag=CC   --mode=compile 
/sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ccnoco-lt.dir/compile /sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ax/cc-no-c-o 
-DPACKAGE_NAME=\"ccnoco-lt\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"ccnoco-lt\" 
-DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"1.0\" -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"ccnoco-lt\ 1.0\" 
-DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -DPACKAGE_URL=\"\" -DPACKAGE=\"ccnoco-lt\" 
-DVERSION=\"1.0\" -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H=1 
-DHAVE_SYS_STAT_H=1 -DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1 -DHAVE_STRING_H=1 
-DHAVE_MEMORY_H=1 -DHAVE_STRINGS_H=1 -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H=1 
-DHAVE_STDINT_H=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1 -DHAVE_DLFCN_H=1 
-DLT_OBJDIR=\".libs/\" -I. -I..   -I/sw/include  -g -O2 -MT libwish.lo 
-MD -MP -MF .deps/libwish.Tpo -c -o libwish.lo ../libwish.c
libtool: compile: 
/sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ccnoco-lt.dir/compile /sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ax/cc-no-c-o 
-DPACKAGE_NAME=\"ccnoco-lt\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"ccnoco-lt\" 
-DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"1.0\" "-DPACKAGE_STRING=\"ccnoco-lt 1.0\"" 
-DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -DPACKAGE_URL=\"\" -DPACKAGE=\"ccnoco-lt\" 
-DVERSION=\"1.0\" -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H=1 
-DHAVE_SYS_STAT_H=1 -DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1 -DHAVE_STRING_H=1 
-DHAVE_MEMORY_H=1 -DHAVE_STRINGS_H=1 -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H=1 
-DHAVE_STDINT_H=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1 -DHAVE_DLFCN_H=1 
-DLT_OBJDIR=\".libs/\" -I. -I.. -I/sw/include -g -O2 -MT libwish.lo -MD 
-MP -MF .deps/libwish.Tpo -c ../libwish.c  -fno-common -DPIC -o 
.libs/libwish.o
libtool: compile: 
/sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ccnoco-lt.dir/compile /sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ax/cc-no-c-o 
-DPACKAGE_NAME=\"ccnoco-lt\" -DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"ccnoco-lt\" 
-DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"1.0\" "-DPACKAGE_STRING=\"ccnoco-lt 1.0\"" 
-DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -DPACKAGE_URL=\"\" -DPACKAGE=\"ccnoco-lt\" 
-DVERSION=\"1.0\" -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_SYS_TYPES_H=1 
-DHAVE_SYS_STAT_H=1 -DHAVE_STDLIB_H=1 -DHAVE_STRING_H=1 
-DHAVE_MEMORY_H=1 -DHAVE_STRINGS_H=1 -DHAVE_INTTYPES_H=1 
-DHAVE_STDINT_H=1 -DHAVE_UNISTD_H=1 -DHAVE_DLFCN_H=1 
-DLT_OBJDIR=\".libs/\" -I. -I.. -I/sw/include -g -O2 -MT libwish.lo -MD 
-MP -MF .deps/libwish.Tpo -c ../libwish.c -o libwish.o >/dev/null 2>&1
mv -f .deps/libwish.Tpo .deps/libwish.Plo
/bin/sh ./libtool  --tag=CC   --mode=link 
/sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ccnoco-lt.dir/compile /sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ax/cc-no-c-o 
  -g -O2  -L/sw/lib -o libwish.la -rpath /usr/local/lib libwish.lo
libtool: link: 
/sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ccnoco-lt.dir/compile /sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ax/cc-no-c-o 
-dynamiclib -Wl,-undefined -Wl,dynamic_lookup -o .libs/libwish.0.dylib 
.libs/libwish.o   -L/sw/lib  -O2   -install_name 
/usr/local/lib/libwish.0.dylib -compatibility_version 1 -current_version 
1.0 -Wl,-single_module
/sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14/t/ax/cc-no-c-o: both 
'-o' and '-c' seen on the command line
make: *** [libwish.la] Error 2
+ am_exit_trap 2
+ exit_status=2
+ set +e
+ cd /sw/build.build/automake1.14-1.14-1/automake-1.14
+ test none = tap
+ case $am_explicit_skips in
+ test 2 -eq 0
+ keep_testdirs=yes
+ am_keeping_testdirs
+ case $keep_testdirs in
+ return 0
+ set +x
ccnoco-lt: exit 2

------- 8< ------- 8< ------- 8< -------

Hanspeter