Subject: bug#14902: closed (Re: bug#14902: 24.3.50; show-paren-mode: Unsatisfactory highlighting behaviour)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 04:11:02 +0000

Your bug report

#14902: 24.3.50; show-paren-mode: Unsatisfactory highlighting behaviour

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
14902: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=14902
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#14902: 24.3.50; show-paren-mode: Unsatisfactory highlighting behaviour
From: Jambunathan K <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 06:13:01 +0530
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

As OP closing it.  

I know enough elisp to work around minor issues.  I really don't have to
report minor bugs.

Subject: 24.3.50; show-paren-mode: Unsatisfactory highlighting behaviour
From: Jambunathan K <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 02:04:22 +0530
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

24.3.50; show-paren-mode: Unsatisfactory highlighting behaviour

Better explained with attached screenshot.  

For the impatient,

0. Right in this mail buffer, M-x show-paren-mode RET
1. Place cursor at the arrow position {}{},  []{}
                                        ^      ^
2. Expected behaviour.  I should see 4 highlights.  
3. Current behaviour.  

   The parentheses pair that is highlighted is the one that is "looking
   back".

   There is no way I can highlight the parentheses pair "looking
   forward".  I consider the bug.

I am attaching the "real world" file that triggerd this bug.  This can
be used for unit testing purposes.

\begin{author}
\format[RTFChars,AuthorLastFirstCommas]{\author}. \end{author}
\begin{title}"\format[RTFChars]{\title}." \end{title}{En \\i \format[RTFChars]{\booktitle}}\begin{editor}, editado por \format[RTFChars,AuthorFirstFirstCommas]{\editor}\end{editor}}
\begin{pages}, \pages\end{pages}.
\begin{edition}\format[RTFChars]{\edition}\end{edition}
\begin{volume} Vol. \format[RTFChars]{\volume}.\end{volume}
\begin{number}, bk. \format[RTFChars]{\number}.\end{number} 
\begin{address}\format[RTFChars]{\address}\end{address}{:
\begin{publisher} \format[RTFChars]{\publisher}\end{publisher}, 
\begin{year}\format[RTFChars]{\year}. \end{year}\\par\\par
\begin{abstract}\format[RTFChars]{\abstract}\\par\\par\end{abstract}

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.15 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2013-07-16 on debian-6.05
Bzr revision: 113434 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10707000
Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IN
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t