Subject: bug#14886: Fwd: A significant slowdown calling font-lock-fontify-buffer from a hook

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 17:16:15 +0200

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 5:04 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> If we must always
> run this from weird --eval arguments on the command line

Using --eval from the command line is not required, just makes timing
it all easier. But if you want a reproducible case without eval:

  ;; .emacs starts here
  (add-hook 'prog-mode-hook 'font-lock-fontify-buffer)
  ;; .emacs ends here

  emacs [/path/to/]xdisp.c

That's it. I don't know how to make it simpler.

> and on top
> of that call fontification from an obscure mode hook

prog-mode-hook isn't "obscure", We've spent time making all
programming modes derive from prog-mode, so running things on it is
nothing strange.

Also, I do not choose where I will hit a bug :-)

   J