Subject: bug#14881: 24.3.50; Odd cursor movement with images (or lines with different heights?)

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 17:04:14 +0300

> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 13:07:22 +0200
> 
> For me, `C-n' when standing on the sixth image (with the seventh
> half-visible) will put point on the fifth image (after scrolling).  I
> think putting point on the third would possibly seem more intuitive.

I misunderstood your original description.  Yes, I see this, too.  But
it is simply a matter of deciding what is the "middle" line of a
window.  Emacs currently looks, starting from the window's beginning,
for the first screen line whose Y pixel coordinate is _past_ the
middle of the window.  I think that is what you see.

> If we're at the first image, `C-p' will place point on the fifth image,

Not here.  I see point on the same 5th image (starting from the window
beginning) with both C-p and C-n.  Are you sure you type C-p slowly
enough to see the effect of each one of them separately?

In any case, "M-x trace-redisplay RET" shows that redisplay takes a
different path when scrolling forward and back in this case.