Subject: Re: bug#14881: 24.3.50; Odd cursor movement with images (or lines with different heights?)

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 12:50:34 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Defaulting to the current cursor (non-)movement seems kinda un-obvious.
>> Why would anybody want `C-n' to scroll the window instead of er moving
>> the cursor down?
>
> Because you don't want the images to jump.  If they do, you won't see
> some of their parts, especially if the window height is small.

In the example that started this bug report, there's no danger of images
jumping or not being shown, so I don't understand why users would want
`C-n' to do anything but behave as normal; i.e., go to the next line.

That's a pretty fundamental thing to do, and if you can't rely on `C-n'
taking you to the next line, lots of things get very, very confusing.

Now, if you have an image that's higher than the window size, then, yes,
perhaps `C-n' should do something else than going to the next line.  But
having such an image is not the normal use case.  The normal use case is
to have lots of smaller images in the window.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/