Subject: bug#14881: 24.3.50; Odd cursor movement with images (or lines with different heights?)

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 20:39:58 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> It is not supposed to move to the next line, it is supposed to vscroll
> by the number of pixels that is the height of the default face's font
> (16 pixels on my system, YMMV).  That is what line-move-visual option
> does when auto-window-vscroll is non-nil, and both are on by default.

I see.  Setting `auto-window-vscroll' to nil gets back the cursor
movement I expected to see.

Defaulting to the current cursor (non-)movement seems kinda un-obvious.
Why would anybody want `C-n' to scroll the window instead of er moving
the cursor down?

> IOW, this is by design, except that Emacs was supposed to "shift" the
> buffer by 1`6 pixels, not by the entire size of the image.

I rather like the way Emacs keeps the entire image in the buffer.
Scrolling so that an image is cut off (at the top) is not very pleasant.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/