Subject: bug#1488: 23.0.60; dired-pop-to-buffer: use fit-window-to-buffer

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 19:17:46 +0100

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 18:37:22 +0100 martin rudalics <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> You're referring to the parenthetical note below my patch, right?
>
> Yes.
>
>> So I
>> tested my patched version of dired-pop-to-buffer after applying your
>> patch.  The result is that dired-pop-to-buffer does not raise an error
>> if I shrink the frame to a size too small to show all marked files,
>> irrespective of the presence or absence of a header line; in both cases
>> I can shrink the frame until only one file can be shown.
>
> Isn't that what you wanted?

I didn't mean to suggest either behavior was better or worse, I just
wanted to report the observation.  But I agree it certainly is better to
have uniform behavior, and no error is fine with me (at least, the
particular error message currently used in the no-header-line case seems
inappropriate).

>> That is, your
>> patch makes the behavior of dired-pop-to-buffer (with my patch)
>> uniformly like the behavior with a header line without your patch.  Is
>> that what you intend?
>
> I don't understand what you mean here.  What I wanted to resolve in the
> first place was to make `fit-window-to-buffer' not issue an error when
> the frame is to small.  

That's exactly what I meant, and my question was just to be sure this
was what you wanted to achieve.

>                         Is there anything else that doesn't work?

Not with fit-window-to-buffer, AFAICT.

Steve Berman