Subject: Re: bug#1488: 23.0.60; dired-pop-to-buffer: use fit-window-to-buffer

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 18:58:55 +0100

> However, unless I'm missing something, fit-window-to-buffer does what
 > dired-pop-to-buffer's shrink-to-fit code does, and moreover also handles
 > header lines.

In addition we have the problem that `split-height-threshold' can be now
nil in

             ((and (> (window-height (setq w2 (get-largest-window)))
		     split-height-threshold)

 > I'm not able to fix the display code to let window-height return
 > fractional line numbers, so I propose the following patch:

If there are no objections, I'll commit that in a couple of days.

 > (Note that if the frame is shrunk so that not all marked file names fit
 > in the *Marked Files* window, then without an oversized header line as
 > is my-mm, dired-pop-to-buffer fails with the error "Attempt to delete
 > minibuffer or sole ordinary window"; whereas with an oversized header
 > line, this error is raised only if not even one file name can be shown.
 > But I see this difference in behavior whether or not the above patch is
 > applied.)

I cannot reproduce that here.  That is, marking in a dired buffer more
files than there fit on the frame and typing C gives me a single-window
frame here with some files not shown - no error.

martin