Subject: bug#14876: closed (Re: bug#14876: 24.3; load-path and environment variable EMACSLOADPATH)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 08:40:04 +0000

Your bug report

#14876: 24.3; load-path and environment variable EMACSLOADPATH

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
14876: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=14876
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#14876: 24.3; load-path and environment variable EMACSLOADPATH
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 03:39:42 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.4

I finally got round to updating the "Library Search" section.

Subject: 24.3; load-path and environment variable EMACSLOADPATH
From: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 17:41:07 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The node "Library Search" suggests to to set EMACSLOADPATH to some
user directory such as /home/foo/.emacs.d/lisp. Yet this does not
agree with the docstring of load-path and emacs fails miserably if
one uses

  export EMACSLOADPATH=/home/foo/.emacs.d/lisp

The proper meaning of EMACSLOADPATH seems to be the one given in the
docstring of load-path saying that EMACSLOADPATH overrides the
default value of load-path specified by file `epaths.h' when Emacs
was built.

The docstring of load-path also says that an element `nil' means
"try default directory". Yet what is the "default directory" in this
context?  default-directory is a buffer-local variable with default nil.

I looked into this because I was looking for a way to _extend_ the
emacs load path in a Makefile generated via autoconf.
Autoconf uses the shell script elisp-comp to compile lisp files.
This script uses

  echo "(setq load-path (cons nil load-path))" > script
  $EMACS -batch -q -l script -f batch-byte-compile *.el || exit $?

In such a hard-coded setting I cannot (easily) extend the load-path via
the emacs option --load.  But the purpose of loading the file script
is not clear to me either.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2013-03-27 on regnitz
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10706000
System Description:	Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS