Subject: 24.3.50; Two lighter entries in mode line when in global-visual-line-mode

From: Josh <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 15:58:35 -0700

Doing `M-x global-visual-line-mode RET' results in both "vl" and "Wrap"
appearing in the mode line.  This is the result of the following form in
simple.el:

  (define-globalized-minor-mode global-visual-line-mode
    visual-line-mode turn-on-visual-line-mode
    :lighter " vl")

The docstring for `define-globalized-minor-mode' warns that it usually
makes no sense to pass it a :lighter argument, presumably to avoid
this very behavior.  Defining a `modified-global-visual-line-mode'
based on the above form but without the :lighter argument produces
expected behavior, i.e. "Wrap" alone.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin12.4.1, NS apple-appkit-1187.39)
 of 2013-07-12 on pow
Bzr revision: 113394 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1187
Configured using:
 `configure --with-pkg-config-prog=/opt/local/bin/pkg-config --with-ns'