Subject: bug#14851: linux-libre-3.3.8-gnu disappeared

From: Alexandre Oliva <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 16:40:28 -0300

On Jul 19, 2013, Andreas Enge <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Am Freitag, 19. Juli 2013 schrieb Alexandre Oliva:
>> However, considering we put out multiple GBs of builds per
>> week, I don't think it's realistic to keep them all forever.  Not in our
>> own server, not at ftp.gnu.org.

> As far as I know, ftp.gnu.org would only be concerned with the source,

I don't know about that.  I've seen binaries in ftp.gnu.org in the past.
This should indeed reduce significantly the space requirements to a bit
less than 1GB per week, considering 4 releases per week in 3 different
compression formats.

OTOH, if we're to be strict, we should publish only the deblob scripts,
for those are the ultimate sources produced by the GNU Linux-libre
project.  The tarballs and diffs and deltas are just the result of
running those scripts on tarballs produced by third parties.

The scripts would be trivial to retain indefinitely; even more so
because they seldom change for stable releases.

> and these source tarballs are usually kept indefinitely.

> One also need not add the patch and diff files, so that the amount of 
> storage would be quite manageable.

The diff files are probably no big deal (10% increase, not an order of
magnitude like the build tarballs and debuginfo rpms).  Excluding them
would probably make for more work in the upload script, though.

-- 
Alexandre Oliva, freedom fighter    http://FSFLA.org/~lxoliva/
You must be the change you wish to see in the world. -- Gandhi
Be Free! -- http://FSFLA.org/   FSF Latin America board member
Free Software Evangelist      Red Hat Brazil Compiler Engineer