Subject: bug#14843: 24.3.50; `line-move', `line-move-visual' need doc strings

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 22:06:41 +0300

> Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 11:50:06 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > > These functions, especially `line-move', are used all over the place.
> > > They need doc strings, with complete descriptions of their parameters.
> > 
> > They are internal functions.  Under what circumstances did you need to
> > use them directly?  Why wasn't next/previous-line enough?
> 
> Read what I wrote: they "are used all over the place".  In the Emacs code
> alone, not to mention in 3rd-party code.  They are not "internal" to
> simple.el.  They are not internal to anything.  Reality.

That an internal function is used all over the Emacs code is a small
wonder.  It just means someone was smart enough to capture a frequent
need of many features.

As for 3rd-party code, if you have such code, or happen to know why
line-move was used instead of next/previous-line, please tell.