Subject: Re: bug#14822: ^M in info files

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2013 13:10:53 +0200

>> Ever since this happens etags has stopped to work on routines written in
 >> C here.  I get something like that it couldn't find an identifier with a
 >> ^M prepended to the symbol not being found.
 >
 > I cannot reproduce this with etags.  You seem to be saying that the
 > TAGS files have DOS-style CRLF EOL format.

No (that is, I'm 99% sure they didn't).

 > But I cannot see how this
 > is possible, since etags.c forces all I/O to be in binary mode.  Are
 > you using some other program for creating the tags tables, perhaps?

I'm using etags.  Unfortunately, I cannot tell what etags produced since
I don't have the tags tables around anymore and am currently not able to
build new ones.  IIRC what happend was that looking up an Elisp routine
failed because some strange characters got prepended to the identifiers
corresponding to Elisp functions.  So I was informed that looking up
^MFnext_window (or so, followed by an extra newline in the minibuffer)
failed.  And I even forgot whether the tags tables contained
Fnext_window at all.  Earlier tags tables contained lines like:

DEFUN ("next-window", Fnext_window,next-window2571,85206

so looking for Fnext_window prepended with something like "^M" doesn't
seem right to me.

Problems started about the same time ^Ms appeared in info lines.  But
maybe it's completely unrelated.  I'll tell you more as soon as I'm able
to build again.

martin