Subject: Re: bug#14808: 24.3; Tramp hangs on unmatched prompt pattern

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 14:15:59 +0200

Chris Thompson <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Chris,

> I successfully replicated your work. I see the message in the
> minibuffer:

[...]

That's the intention of my change. You shall get more information where
to look for.

> The value of tramp-shell-prompt-pattern:
> "\\(?:^\\|\n \\)[^]#$%>\n]*#?[]#$%>] *\\(\\[[0-9;]*[a-zA-Z] *\\)*"
>
> When I add a colon to the list of ending characters in that regex,
> which would be #:$%>, then opening the file with sudo works
> beautifully. (because of the PS1 value which is set in
> .../root/.bashrc) 

We have kept out the trailing colon in `tramp-shell-prompt-pattern',
because often you get information or requests during login with such a
trailing colon, which should not be recognized as prompt. Like this:

Password:

So from my pov, this bug is resolved. I recommend you to use a prompt
w/o a trailing colon. Or you modify `tramp-shell-prompt-pattern', as you
have done.

> Thanks,
> Chris

Best regards, Michael.