Subject: bug#14808: 24.3; Tramp hangs on unmatched prompt pattern

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 17:01:50 +0200

Chris Thompson <[email-masked]> writes:

> Feature: warn when the root prompt does not match tramp-prompt-pattern

I have committed a patch to the Tramp and Emacs repositories, which
should improve the messages. You could test it.

> Given an account on a remote server with the same name
> And a password-less login to that account
> And a /root/.bashrc has PS1 set to "\W:"
> When I open a file "/sudo:/etc/passwd"
> Then I should see a warning 'timeout after 5 seconds, prompt not
> recognized: "/etc:"'

The timeouts used by Tramp are unique for all different connection
methods (60 seconds). I will change it for the different methods; a
timeout for sudo could be much smaller. Keeping this report open until
this is fixed.

> Thanks!
> --
> Chris

Best regards, Michael.