Subject: bug#14805: 24.3.50; german umlauts error in sgml/html buffer

From: Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2013 14:02:16 +0200

Emacs -Q

Opened a buffer with ending ".htm". German umlauts are mangled.

  BÃ¶rse, which should read Börse

coding-system-for-write nil
and
coding-system-for-read nil

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
  of 2013-06-12

Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11203000
System Description:	openSUSE 12.2 (i586)

Configured using:
  `configure CFLAGS='-g -O''

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Help

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   buffer-read-only: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar>
<options> <menu-set-font> <help-echo> C-x d i m <tab>
<return> <return> C-s r s e C-s <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <drag-mouse-1>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement>
<mouse-movement> <drag-mouse-1> C-x 2 C-h f b u f f
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> c o
d i n g - s y s t <tab> f o <tab> <M-backspace> <M-backspace>
<M-backspace> C-a C-k C-g C-h v C-y f o <tab> r e <tab>
<return> C-x o C-x 2 C-h v <up> C-e <M-backspace> w
r i <tab> <return> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1>
<help-echo> <mouse-movement> <drag-mouse-1> <help-echo>
<down-mouse-1> <help-echo> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement>
<help-echo> <drag-mouse-1> <help-echo> M-x r e p o
r t _ <backspace> - <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark saved where search started
Quit
Type "q" in help window to restore its previous buffer, C-M-v to scroll help.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort nadvice gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu help-fns misearch
multi-isearch sgml-mode dired time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)