Subject: Re: Gnus spelling fix: unexist -> nonexistent

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 16:54:13 +0200

Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 07/06/2013 08:36 AM, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>> `unexist' has been in use for a couple of years, so this would break
>> people's Gnus files.
>
> Sorry, I thought 'unexist' was a more recent edition.  In that case,
> how about if gnus-clean-old-newsrc automatically updates the old Gnus
> files from 'unexist' to 'nonexistent'?  The code already does that for
> the old bad seplling 'unexists', so there's precedent for fixing
> spelling in this area.

Yeah, but `unexists' didn't last that long.  :-)

Anyway, I just don't see much of an upside to changing the what symbols
are used in internal data structures.  Calling them `gazonk' instead of
`unexist' makes as much sense.  So there's a downside (people flipping
back and forth between versions will have to resync stuff), and the
upside remains to be demonstrated.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/