Subject: bug#14802: 24.3.50; (elisp) Multiple Terminals - what is a terminal attribute?

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 11:27:58 -0800 (PST)

> I really don't understand the purpose of this bug report, because
> this very node is the answer to all your questions and gripes.  It
> includes:
> 
>   . a full list of the attributes of a terminal object (directly
>     below the single sentence you cited in your report)
>   . documentation of functions that access those attributes, and
>   . references to other nodes where related features and issues are
>     described

So you _are_ saying that "terminal attribute" is a term and concept
being introduced, and we are not just using the English word
"attribute" in a general sense.  Great.

In that case, please put it in quotes, as we usually do for a term
introduction.  And, as this bug report requests, say something
about what it is, if you can - what the term means.  Listing values
is not really a substitute for that.

> What else is missing?

See above.

> > If what is meant really is something technical that is known
> > as a terminal attribute (as one user, I really don't know),
> > then that term either needs explaining or users should be
> > sent elsewhere for info about it.
> 
> I see nothing wrong with the word "attribute".  In this very manual,
> we have:
> 
>   . text attributes
>   . face attributes
>   . file attributes
>   . package attributes
>   . process attributes
> 
> What's wrong with having "terminal object attributes"?

Nothing.  Say what you mean by the term, as we do for each of
the others you cited.  And index it.  Compare what you see by
following `i face attribute': The term is quoted and described:

  "Face attributes" determine the visual appearance of a face...

Or follow `i package attribute', to see:

  Each package (whether simple or multi-file) has certain
  "attributes":

(That one is a minimal description - it just introduces particular
attributes without saying what is meant by the term.  But at least
it introduces the term explicitly.)

BTW, "attributes of text" is in the index, but "text attribute"
should also be added.  And the indexed node is `Text Properties'.
The term "text attribute" should be cited there as meaning the
same as "text property", which is the term described.

Also, I said "each" above, but that's not quite right:

* The term "file attribute" also should be introduced explicitly,
  in node `File Attributes'.  E.g.:

    ...detailed information about a file, including the owner and
    group numbers, the number of names, the inode number, the size,
    and the times of access and modification.

  Add something like this: `These characteristics are referred to as
  "file attributes".'

* "Process attribute" is also not introduced explicitly, in node
  `System Processes'.  Also, although function `process-attributes'
  is indexed, `process attribute' is not.