Subject: Re: bug#14794: 24.3.50; `w32-register-hot-key' does not work on Windows 7 64-bit

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 15:39:28 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 14:29:00 +0100
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Unless someone knows a way around this (I searched for it, but didn't
> > find any solutions, only complaints), I guess this will remain a
> > "known bug".
> 
> (I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
> at the time.)
> 
> Skimming this bug report, there doesn't seem to be anything to be done
> on the Emacs side -- or at least there wasn't eight years ago.
> 
> Is this still the case today?

I think we have a solution for this since Emacs 26.1.  From NEWS.26:

  ** Intercepting hotkeys on Windows 7 and later now works better.
  The new keyboard hooking code properly grabs system hotkeys such as
  'Win-*' and 'Alt-TAB', in a way that Emacs can get at them before the
  system.  This makes the 'w32-register-hot-key' functionality work
  again on all versions of MS-Windows starting with Windows 7.  On
  Windows NT and later you can now register any hotkey combination.  (On
  Windows 9X, the previous limitations, spelled out in the Emacs manual,
  still apply.)