Subject: Re: bug#14794: 24.3.50; `w32-register-hot-key' does not work on Windows 7 64-bit

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 10:20:53 +0200

> Turns out it does make a difference.  This documentation page:
 >
 >   http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms646309%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
 >
 > explicitly says that the behavior of the underlying API has changed
 > since XP: if the hot key is already registered, the API now fails
 > instead of replacing the old registration with the new.  And Alt+TAB
 > is hooked by the Windows Explorer.  And indeed, on Windows 7 I see
 > that the call to RegisterHotKey API consistently fails with an error
 > code which says "Hot key is already registered".
 >
 > Unless someone knows a way around this (I searched for it, but didn't
 > find any solutions, only complaints), I guess this will remain a
 > "known bug".

 From what I read on such systems an application that does not have
registered a key itself is allowed to unregister it only if it is
certified in some way and resides in Program Files.

martin