Subject: Re: bug#14793: 23.4; Cannot bind a function to a sequence of two mouse keys

From: Alex <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2017 21:59:37 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Alex <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
>> Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2017 11:53:16 -0600
>> 
>> > Who said a mouse click could be a prefix key?
>> 
>> Does the manual state that a mouse click can't be a prefix key?
>
> If you are arguing that the manual is incomplete or inaccurate, I
> could agree, but that's a different/separate issue, I'm sure.  Fixing
> the docs is easy.

If it turns out that mouse clicks can't be prefix keys, then the doc
should indeed be fixed.

> I just asked that question because my reading of the code is that this
> is not supported.  Maybe I'm misreading: keyboard.c:read_char is not
> for the faint at heart.

Yeah, I'm having trouble going through it. Is there a way to make it
supported, though? For example, what about catching the error around
read_char_x_menu_prompt (keyboard.c:L2683) and not exiting if an error
was thrown? I'm not sure how to go about this in C.

>> Also, "(emacs) Mouse Buttons" states that "You can put more than one
>> mouse button in a key sequence, but it isn’t usual to do so.".
>> 
>> How would one do this if a mouse click can't be a prefix key?
>
> By making a menu, I presume.

Do you mean those mentioned in "(emacs) Menu Mouse Clicks"? Does
clicking in those menus count as key sequences?