Subject: Re: bug#14789: BUG: Modules compile as ELF's on PE/PE+ architecture

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2013 12:23:33 -0400

retitle 14789 Test failures under Cygwin (Guile master)
thanks

Hi,

Vasiliy <[email-masked]> writes:

> I have just tried to compile Guile from the git sources under Cygwin
> (64-bit), and all the modules got compied by GUILEC as ELF
> executables, not as PE/PE+'s as I would expect it, what was also quite
> (unfortunate) surprising. Any ideas, what could be wrong?

This is intentional.  Guile 2.2 will use ELF as the format for .go
files, regardless of platform.

> ERROR: In procedure dynamic-func:
> ERROR: In procedure dynamic-pointer: Symbol not found: strerror
> FAIL: test-ffi

This is a portability problem in our test suite, and doesn't indicate a
problem with Guile itself.  Still, it would be good to fix it at some
point.

> fail: scm_from_double (1) == +nan.0
> FAIL: test-conversion.exe

This is a _real_ bug, either in Guile or in Cygwin itself.  That "1"
should have been NaN.  One possibility is that Cygwin's 'fprintf'
doesn't handle NaN's properly.

Another more troubling possibility is that the code in
test-suite/standalone/test-conversion.c:ieee_init, also found in
libguile/numbers.c:guile_ieee_init, is not working properly under
Cygwin.  This could be a serious problem for numerics.

Were there any failures in 'numbers.test'?

    Thanks,
      Mark