Subject: Re: bug#14782: 24.3.50; flyspell-mode garbles accents in terminal clients

From: Stefano Zacchiroli <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 17:30:14 +0200

On Fri, Jul 05, 2013 at 02:16:37PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Thanks.  How did you type those characters, exactly?

I use X11 compose key (which is mapped to my right-Alt) and compose
together the characters "e" and "'" (single straight quote), but that
should be transparent to Emacs.

I'd like to stress that AFAICT my general encoding settings work just
fine and that I've been using UTF-8 locales since many many years. As
evidence of that I can report also the following experiment (done in the
very same terminal where I can reproduce the problem with emacsclient):

  $ echo conférence > foo.txt

In the above, I use X11 compose key to obtain the accented "e" on the
console, and use bash redirection to create foo.txt. The obtained .txt
file contains the correct unicode code point encoded in UTF-8:

  $ od -c foo.txt
  0000000   c   o   n   f 303 251   r   e   n   c   e  \n
  0000014

FWIW emacsclients (both on the console and in the GUI) can *read* that
file just fine, showing the appropriate character. It is just at
*insert* time, and only if flyspell-mode is enabled, that I get
character garbling.

> And what does "M-: (keyboard-coding-system) RET" says in the frame
> produced by emacsclient?

It returns "utf-8-unix" in all possible combinations of console/GUI
client and flyspell-mode on/off.

Cheers.

PS I'll now work on a complete recipe to reproduce the problem starting
   from emacs -Q and post it to the bug log. But it will need X11
   compose key.
-- 
Stefano Zacchiroli  . . . . . . .  [email-masked] . . . . o . . . o . o
Maître de conférences . . . . . http://upsilon.cc/zack . . . o . . . o o
Former Debian Project Leader  . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .
« the first rule of tautology club is the first rule of tautology club »