Subject: bug#14782: 24.3.50; flyspell-mode garbles accents in terminal clients

From: Stefano Zacchiroli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 21:20:02 +0200

On Thu, Jul 04, 2013 at 09:13:25PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> And what does Emacs show if you go to one of the garbled characters it
> displays and type "C-u C-x ="?

As a result of typing the accented "e" with flyspell-mode on I got two
garbled characters. On them the above commands returns, respectively:

             position: 13 of 15 (80%), column: 5
            character: Ã (displayed as Ã) (codepoint 195, #o303, #xc3)
    preferred charset: unicode (Unicode (ISO10646))
code point in charset: 0xC3
               script: latin
               syntax: w 	which means: word
             category: .:Base, L:Left-to-right (strong), j:Japanese, l:Latin, v:Viet
             to input: type "C-x 8 RET HEX-CODEPOINT" or "C-x 8 RET NAME"
          buffer code: #xC3 #x83
            file code: not encodable by coding system undecided-unix
              display: terminal code #xC3 #x83

and:

             position: 14 of 15 (87%), column: 6
            character: � (displayed as �) (codepoint 4194217, #o17777651, #x3fffa9)
    preferred charset: eight-bit (Raw bytes 128-255)
code point in charset: 0xA9
               syntax: w 	which means: word
             category: L:Left-to-right (strong)
             to input: type "C-x 8 RET HEX-CODEPOINT" or "C-x 8 RET NAME"
          buffer code: #xA9
            file code: not encodable by coding system undecided-unix
              display: not encodable for terminal

Disabling flyspell-mode the character is not garbled anymore, and on the
accented "e" the result is:

             position: 6 of 15 (33%), column: 5
            character: é (displayed as é) (codepoint 233, #o351, #xe9)
    preferred charset: unicode (Unicode (ISO10646))
code point in charset: 0xE9
               script: latin
               syntax: w 	which means: word
             category: .:Base, L:Left-to-right (strong), c:Chinese, j:Japanese, l:Latin, v:Viet
             to input: type "C-x 8 RET HEX-CODEPOINT" or "C-x 8 RET NAME"
          buffer code: #xC3 #xA9
            file code: not encodable by coding system undecided-unix
              display: terminal code #xC3 #xA9

Hope this helps,
-- 
Stefano Zacchiroli  . . . . . . .  [email-masked] . . . . o . . . o . o
Maître de conférences . . . . . http://upsilon.cc/zack . . . o . . . o o
Former Debian Project Leader  . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .
« the first rule of tautology club is the first rule of tautology club »