Subject: bug#1478: 23.0.60; doc string of custom-unlispify-*

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 14:57:14 +0200

"Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:

> 1. The doc string of `custom-unlispify-menu-entries' says only this:
>
>  "Display menu entries as words instead of symbols if non-nil."
>
> What menu entries? Which menu?
>
> It took me a while, searching and experimenting, to find that this is
> about the `Custom' menu's submenus. Please clarify what this is for in
> the doc string.

I disagree.  The grouping is `custom-menu', so what else could it be
referring to?  This would be like if all dired variables and commands
had doc strings starting with "In Dired...".

> 2. The doc string of `custom-unlispify-tag-names' says only this:
>
>  "Display tag names as words instead of symbols if non-nil."
>
> What's a tag name? This won't make much sense to an Emacs user who isn't savvy
> to Emacs Lisp, `defcustom' :type, and :tag. Please explain this
> better. A simple illustrative example never hurts: show what happens if
> it's nil vs if it's non-nil.

This is for (very special) people who want to customize the Customize
low-level thingamabobs.  I think they probably know what a tag is, if
they want to change it.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/