Subject: bug#14771: 24.3.50; Unable to scroll one line at time at window edges.

From: Keith David Bershatsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 10:32:28 -0700

Within a recent revision to the Emacs Trunk (probably the last month or so), the default behavior of scrolling one line at a time when reaching the window edges (top / bottom) was disabled.  (setq scroll-step 1) does not fix this.  Setting scroll-conservatively to a high number works only with the down arrow key, but the up arrow key causes emacs to temporarily freeze when reaching the top window edge -- i.e., the dreaded spinning wheel on OSX.

Thanks,

Keith
[email-masked]

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
 of 2013-06-30 on MP.local
Bzr revision: 113237 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1038
Configured using:
 `configure --with-ns'

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  global-highlight-parentheses-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  global-whitespace-mode: t
  whitespace-mode: t
  global-linum-mode: t
  linum-mode: t
  show-newlines-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  tabbar-mwheel-mode: t
  tabbar-mode: t
  highlight-parentheses-mode: t
  osx-key-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: 1
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  global-visual-line-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
s-N s-w n y s-w n s-w y <escape> x s-v <S-s-left> <M-S-right> 
<M-S-left> r e p o r t - e m a c s - b u g <return

Recent messages:
Initializing folder...done
Loading msgdb for %INBOX.Drafts...done
Loading mail-mime-setup...done
Updating addresses...done
[yas] Loading for `wl-draft-mode', just-in-time: (yas--load-directory-1 /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/yasnippet-0.8.0/snippets/wl-draft-mode (quote wl-draft-mode) (quote nil))!
[yas] Loading compiled snippets from /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/yasnippet-0.8.0/snippets/wl-draft-mode
Type C-c C-x C-z to exit MIME mode, and type C-c C-x ? to get help.
Saving...done
Buffer %INBOX.Drafts/-4 modified; kill anyway? (y or n)  n [2 times]
Buffer %INBOX.Drafts/-4 modified; kill anyway? (y or n)  y

Load-path shadows:
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/wanderlust/utils/wl-mailto hides /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/wanderlust/site-lisp/wl/wl-mailto
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/wanderlust/utils/wl-complete hides /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/wanderlust/site-lisp/wl/wl-complete
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/wanderlust/utils/wl-addrbook hides /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/wanderlust/site-lisp/wl/wl-addrbook
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/wanderlust/utils/ssl hides /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/wanderlust/site-lisp/wl/ssl
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/wanderlust/utils/rfc2368 hides /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/wanderlust/site-lisp/wl/rfc2368
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/wanderlust/utils/im-wl hides /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/wanderlust/site-lisp/wl/im-wl
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/std11 hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/std11
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/smtp hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/smtp
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/sha1 hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/sha1
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/sha1-el hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/sha1-el
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/sasl hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/sasl
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/sasl-scram hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/sasl-scram
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/sasl-ntlm hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/sasl-ntlm
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/sasl-digest hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/sasl-digest
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/sasl-cram hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/sasl-cram
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/qmtp hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/qmtp
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/ntlm hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/ntlm
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/mmgeneric hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/mmgeneric
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/mmexternal hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/mmexternal
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/mmcooked hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/mmcooked
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/mmbuffer hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/mmbuffer
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/mime hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/mime
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/mime-parse hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/mime-parse
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/mime-def hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/mime-def
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/mime-conf hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/mime-conf
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/mel hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/mel
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/mel-u hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/mel-u
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/mel-q hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/mel-q
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/mel-q-ccl hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/mel-q-ccl
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/mel-g hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/mel-g
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/mel-b-el hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/mel-b-el
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/mel-b-ccl hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/mel-b-ccl
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/md5 hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/md5
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/md4 hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/md4
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/org-toodledo/mailcap hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/mailcap
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/lunit hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/lunit
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/luna hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/luna
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/hmac-sha1 hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/hmac-sha1
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/hmac-md5 hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/hmac-md5
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/hmac-def hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/hmac-def
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/hex-util hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/hex-util
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/eword-encode hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/eword-encode
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/eword-decode hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/eword-decode
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/site-lisp/emu/static hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/static
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/site-lisp/emu/richtext hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/richtext
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/site-lisp/emu/pym hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/pym
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/site-lisp/emu/product hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/product
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/site-lisp/emu/poem hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/poem
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/site-lisp/emu/poem-e20_3 hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/poem-e20_3
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/site-lisp/emu/poem-e20 hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/poem-e20
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/site-lisp/emu/poe hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/poe
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/site-lisp/emu/pcustom hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/pcustom
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/site-lisp/emu/pces hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/pces
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/site-lisp/emu/pces-e20 hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/pces-e20
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/site-lisp/emu/pces-20 hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/pces-20
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/site-lisp/emu/pccl hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/pccl
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/site-lisp/emu/pccl-20 hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/pccl-20
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/site-lisp/apel/path-util hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/path-util
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/site-lisp/emu/mule-caesar hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/mule-caesar
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/site-lisp/emu/mcs-e20 hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/mcs-e20
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/site-lisp/emu/mcs-20 hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/mcs-20
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/site-lisp/emu/mcharset hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/mcharset
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/site-lisp/emu/invisible hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/invisible
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/site-lisp/emu/inv-23 hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/inv-23
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/site-lisp/apel/install hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/install
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/site-lisp/apel/filename hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/filename
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/site-lisp/emu/emu hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/emu
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/site-lisp/apel/calist hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/calist
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/site-lisp/emu/broken hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/broken
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/site-lisp/emu/apel-ver hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/apel-ver
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/site-lisp/apel/alist hides ~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/alist
~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/timezone hides /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/timezone
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/md4 hides /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/md4
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/hex-util hides /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/hex-util
~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/apel/env hides /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/env
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/sasl hides /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/sasl
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/sasl-ntlm hides /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/sasl-ntlm
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/sasl-digest hides /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/sasl-digest
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/sasl-cram hides /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/sasl-cram
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/ntlm hides /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/ntlm
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/hmac-md5 hides /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/hmac-md5
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/site-lisp/flim/hmac-def hides /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/hmac-def
~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/flim/smtpmail hides /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/mail/smtpmail
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/wanderlust/utils/rfc2368 hides /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/mail/rfc2368
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/wanderlust/site-lisp/wl/utf7 hides /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/gnus/utf7
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/semi/site-lisp/semi/smime hides /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/gnus/smime
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/org-toodledo/mailcap hides /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/gnus/mailcap
~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/el-get/.dir-locals hides /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/semi/site-lisp/semi/pgg hides /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/obsolete/pgg
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/semi/site-lisp/semi/pgg-pgp5 hides /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/obsolete/pgg-pgp5
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/semi/site-lisp/semi/pgg-pgp hides /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/obsolete/pgg-pgp
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/semi/site-lisp/semi/pgg-parse hides /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/obsolete/pgg-parse
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/semi/site-lisp/semi/pgg-gpg hides /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/obsolete/pgg-gpg
/Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/semi/site-lisp/semi/pgg-def hides /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/obsolete/pgg-def
~/.0.data/.0.emacs/elpa/utilities/longlines hides /Users/HOME/.0.data/.0.emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/obsolete/longlines

Features:
(shadow emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader wl-mime mime-edit pgg-parse
pccl pccl-20 signature mime-setup mail-mime-setup semi-setup mime-pgp
pgg-def mime-play filename mime-image modb-standard elmo-imap4
time-stamp wl-demo wl-news derived wl-address wl-thread wl-action
wl-summary wl-refile wl-message elmo-mime mmelmo-buffer mmelmo-imap
mime-view mime-conf calist semi-def mmimap mime-parse mmbuffer
mmgeneric wl-highlight elmo-multi wl-folder wl wl-e21 wl-util
elmo-flag wl-draft eword-encode wl-template wl-vars wl-version
epg-config sendmail mail-utils elmo-net elmo-cache elmo-map elmo-dop
elmo-localdir elmo elmo-signal elmo-msgdb modb modb-generic
modb-entity mime elmo-util emu invisible inv-23 poem poem-e20
poem-e20_3 utf7 eword-decode mel mime-def std11 mcharset mcs-20
mcs-e20 pces pces-e20 pces-20 broken pcustom elmo-date elmo-vars
path-util poe elmo-version luna yasnippet auctex-autoloads tex-site
info multiple-cursors-autoloads yasnippet-autoloads ido org-toodledo
http-post-simple url-http tls url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums url-gw url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse
auth-source eieio eieio-core gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr
password-cache url-vars mailcap json xml org byte-opt warnings
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-footnote org-src ob-comint
ob-keys org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-color ring org-list
org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob
org-compat org-macs ob-eval org-loaddefs format-spec find-func
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs org-install bbdb-autoloads bbdb
ps-print ps-def lpr alist mime-w3m w3m-load w3m browse-url doc-view
jka-compr image-mode timezone pym static apel-ver product w3m-hist
w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems wid-edit w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon w3m-image
w3m-proc w3m-util .loaddefs el-get el-get-autoloads
el-get-list-packages el-get-notify help-mode el-get-dependencies
el-get-build el-get-status pp el-get-recipes el-get-byte-compile
el-get-methods el-get-fossil el-get-svn el-get-pacman
el-get-github-zip el-get-github-tar el-get-http-zip el-get-http-tar
el-get-hg el-get-git-svn el-get-fink el-get-emacswiki el-get-http
el-get-emacsmirror el-get-github el-get-git el-get-elpa package
el-get-darcs el-get-cvs el-get-bzr el-get-brew el-get-builtin
el-get-apt-get el-get-custom el-get-core autoload lisp-mnt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv dired savehist itunes osx-osascript easymenu
desktop saveplace whitespace linum visual-line disp-table delsel
flyspell ispell server multiple-cursors mc-separate-operations
rectangular-region-mode mc-mark-more thingatpt mc-cycle-cursors
mc-edit-lines multiple-cursors-core edmacro kmacro advice help-fns
cl-macs gv rect cl nadvice cl-loaddefs cl-lib tabbar easy-mmode
highlight-parentheses auto-save-buffers-enhanced frame-cmds frame-fns
avoid osxkeys redo time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty
emacs)