Subject: bug#14767: du -s reports Infinity

From: Marek Otahal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 23:35:26 +0200

Hi, thanks for advice and sorry for the delay, I went in wilderness off the
internet.

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 12:10 AM, Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On 07/02/2013 01:26 PM, Marek Otahal wrote:
> > newfstatat(AT_FDCWD,
> > ".kde4/share/apps/kopete/logs/JabberProtocol/XXXX-XXXX@chat-facebook-com
> > /[email-masked]", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644,
> st_size=2576,
> > ...}, AT_SYMLINK_NOFOLLOW) = 0
>
> This is one of the key system calls, but it's lacking
> crucial details.  What does strace -v say for that syscall?
> strace -v should give info about st_blksize and st_blocks.
>
it reports:

$ strace -v du
~/.kde4/share/apps/kopete/logs/JabberProtocol/XXXX-XXXX@chat-facebook-com
/[email-masked] 2>&1  | grep newfstatat
newfstatat(AT_FDCWD,
"/home/marek/.kde4/share/apps/kopete/logs/JabberProtocol/XXXX-XXXX@chat-facebook-com
/[email-masked]", {st_dev=makedev(0, 40), st_ino=6369,
st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_nlink=1, st_uid=1000, st_gid=100, st_blksize=4096,
st_blocks=36028797018963952, st_size=2576, st_atime=2013/03/11-21:56:17,
st_mtime=2013/03/11-21:56:17, st_ctime=2013/03/11-21:56:17},
AT_SYMLINK_NOFOLLOW) = 0

it reports lots of blocks (btw, i tried defrag in btrfs before).

Regarding running fsck, well, it's btrfs, so the fsck is not so matured
yet...what can i run for testing? Yet, no errors with the FS are
reported/observed.
..it must have been a FS corruption, a cp -a (to /tmp on tmpfs), rm, and cp
-a back cycle solved it.

$  strace -v du  ~/.kde4/share/apps/kopete/logs/JabberProtocol/....
newfstatat(AT_FDCWD, ....., {st_dev=makedev(0, 40), st_ino=569698,
st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_nlink=1, st_uid=1000, st_gid=100, st_blksize=4096,
st_blocks=8, st_size=2576, st_atime=2013/03/11-21:56:17,
st_mtime=2013/03/11-21:56:17, st_ctime=2013/07/23-23:30:07},
AT_SYMLINK_NOFOLLOW) = 0

Guys, sorry for the false alarm, and thanks for guidance here!
With best regards, Mark

-- 
Marek Otahal :o)