Subject: bug#1476: 23.0.60; spelling of (un)writeable should be (un)writable

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 00:48:52 +0100

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 15:02:39 -0800 "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Emacs manual, node Directory Variables.
> Please change "unwriteable" to "unwritable".
>  
> Not very important, since this is just an invented name in an example,
> but it can lead users to think that's the spelling and thus to look
> for such a term in the future.  Googling shows that similar bugs have
> been logged for Scheme, Python, man pages, and elsewhere.

Code is probably not as liable to influence spelling as documentation,
but FWIW:

-*- mode: grep; default-directory: "/Users/steve/cvsroot/emacs/" -*-
Grep started at Wed Dec  3 00:40:12

find . \( -path \*/SCCS -o -path \*/RCS -o -path \*/CVS -o -path \*/MCVS -o -path \*/.svn -o -path \*/.git -o -path \*/.hg -o -path \*/.bzr -o -path \*/_MTN -o -path \*/_darcs -o -path \*/\{arch\} \) -prune -o  -type f \( -name \* \) -print0 | xargs -0 -e grep -i -nH -e writeable
./etc/NEWS.21:1682:"cvs edit" to make files writeable; it defaults to `t'.  (This option
./info/emacs-5:5371:could apply settings to an unwriteable directory this way:
./info/emacs-5:5373:     (dir-locals-set-class-variables 'unwriteable-directory
./info/emacs-5:5377:        "/usr/include/" 'unwriteable-directory)
./lisp/erc/ChangeLog.03:840:	(erc-directory-writeable-p): create directory if it doesn't exist, check if
./lisp/erc/ChangeLog.03:841:	    it's writeable
./lisp/erc/erc-log.el:317:is writeable (it will be created as necessary) and
Binary file ./lisp/erc/erc-log.elc matches
./lisp/loaddefs.el:9236:is writeable (it will be created as necessary) and
./lisp/ChangeLog.10:2443:	(gdb-display-end): Only make buffer writeable temporarily.
./lisp/ChangeLog.3:1908:	them without locking the few that should stay writeable.
./lisp/ChangeLog.3:2281:	(vc-checkout-writeable-buffer-hook): New var.
./lisp/ChangeLog.8:5519:	writeable with "cvs edit", call "cvs unedit" to undo that.
Binary file ./lisp/vc-hooks.elc matches
./lisp/progmodes/cc-defs.el:409:known to be writeable.  That way, these text properties remain set
Binary file ./lisp/progmodes/cc-defs.elc matches
./lisp/progmodes/cpp.el:104:			       (const :tag "False branch writeable" nil)
./lisp/progmodes/cpp.el:105:			       (const :tag "Both branches writeable" both))))
Binary file ./lisp/progmodes/cpp.elc matches
./lisp/files.el:245:file is being saved is not writeable, Emacs may ignore a non-nil value
./lisp/files.el:262:itself writeable, then error instead of saving in some
./lisp/generic-x.el:1315:    "DIR_WRITEABLE"
./lisp/ldefs-boot.el:9227:is writeable (it will be created as necessary) and
Binary file ./lisp/generic-x.elc matches
./lisp/vc-hooks.el:423:  'implicit   FILES are always writeable, and checked out `implicitly'
./lisp/vc-svn.el:414:uses locally for temp files must also be writeable by you on that host.
Binary file ./lisp/files.elc matches
Binary file ./lisp/vc-svn.elc matches
./lisp/ChangeLog.13:14945:	ldefs-boot.el, make sure loaddefs.el is writeable.
./doc/emacs/custom.texi:1309:example, you could apply settings to an unwriteable directory this
./doc/emacs/custom.texi:1313:(dir-locals-set-class-variables 'unwriteable-directory
./doc/emacs/custom.texi:1317:   "/usr/include/" 'unwriteable-directory)
./ChangeLog:7146:	trying to make final targets writeable first, since it won't
./src/ChangeLog.4:3398:	(Ffile_writeable_p) [MSDOS]: Don't call access with file name ending
./src/ChangeLog.6:3001:	* sysdep.c (WRITABLE): Renamed from WRITEABLE.

Grep finished (matches found) at Wed Dec  3 00:40:35

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.20 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9) of
2008-12-02 on escher

Steve Berman