Subject: Re: bug#14744: 24.3.50; Flickering mouse-face on process output

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 12:35:27 +0200

On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 10:47:15 +0100 (BST) Christopher Schmidt <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> Redisplay of a window always includes redisplay of the tool bar.  The
>> latter involves drawing the buttons, and then applying the depressed
>> faced to the button that the mouse pointer hovers above.  That is what
>> you see, I believe.  So why do you consider that a bug?
>
> I was not talking about the tool bar.  I was talking about the buttons
> in the other window of Emacs, such as
>
>     Emacs Tutorial	Learn basic keystroke commands
>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>     Emacs Guided Tour	Overview of Emacs features at gnu.org
>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>     View Emacs Manual	View the Emacs manual using Info
>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I call them buttons because they were created using insert-button.  This
> does not exactly matter here.  Any text with a mouse-face will do.
>
> I see actual flickering.  That is, I move my mouse cursor over the text
> and expect the text face to be highlight as long as the cursor is
> somewhere in between the continuous fragment of text.  It is not.  The
> actual face is switching between two faces, one of them being highlight.

I've noticed this for a long time (I can't remember when I first noticed
it, but it was certainly many months, perhaps years ago); I think I
always see it when the *shell* buffer is rapidly outputting data from
building Emacs, and a Gnus *Summary* buffer is in the other window.

Steve Berman