Subject: bug#14744: 24.3.50; Flickering mouse-face on process output

From: Christopher Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 10:47:15 +0100 (BST)

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> Redisplay of a window always includes redisplay of the tool bar.  The
> latter involves drawing the buttons, and then applying the depressed
> faced to the button that the mouse pointer hovers above.  That is what
> you see, I believe.  So why do you consider that a bug?

I was not talking about the tool bar.  I was talking about the buttons
in the other window of Emacs, such as

    Emacs Tutorial	Learn basic keystroke commands
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Emacs Guided Tour	Overview of Emacs features at gnu.org
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    View Emacs Manual	View the Emacs manual using Info
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I call them buttons because they were created using insert-button.  This
does not exactly matter here.  Any text with a mouse-face will do.

I see actual flickering.  That is, I move my mouse cursor over the text
and expect the text face to be highlight as long as the cursor is
somewhere in between the continuous fragment of text.  It is not.  The
actual face is switching between two faces, one of them being highlight.

I am able to reproduce the bug on different GNU/Linux/Xorg/GTK 2.*
boxes.  On a fast machine the flickering is barely noticeable, on a slow
one the faces flickers with a high frequency which is very distracting
and mildly annoying.

        Christopher