Subject: bug#14742: 24.3.50; enhancement request: be able to prepend stuff from buffer when search backward

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 16:30:02 +0200

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Could you move this new code to a separate function?
>
> In the following patch I moved new code to a separate function
> `isearch-yank-or-del' that works like a combination of the existing
> functions `isearch-yank-string' and `isearch-del-char'.
> `isearch-yank-or-del' is general enough that it can be used
> separately from the movement-yanking feature.

Stefan had some further comments about the amount of code left in
isearch-other-meta-char, but since the code alters several variables
local to that function, the proposed solution for that looked (to me) a
lot less understandable than Juri's patch.

But it seemed like everybody agreed that the feature was good, so
perhaps it should be applied now?  It probably needs some documentation,
though.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no