Subject: RE: bug#14742: 24.3.50; enhancement request: be able to prepend stuff from buffer when search backward

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 16:42:49 -0700 (PDT)

> > 2. Just use a name for the position, not the action:
> >    e.g. START or BEGINNING. 
> Then let's use BEGINNING:

Good.  But I don't see where you documented parameter BEGINNING.

> > 3. To me, yanking stuff to the beginning is more important than
> > deleting stuff from the beginning.  I was thinking either have a
> > separate key (or set of keys) that is (are) analogous to the
> > yank-at-end key(s) or else just reuse the same keys when searching
> > backward.
> 
> I have no idea about new keys, but I need this change to implement
> yanking/deletion by motion keys (disabled by default).

Dunno what that means.  Motion keys will yank or delete?
Doesn't sound too good, a priori.
Guess I missed the functional spec for that. ;-)

Why not just reuse the keys we already use to yank, but have them yank
at the beginning when you search in reverse?  E.g.:

C-w     - `isearch-yank-word-or-char', but at the beginning.
C-y     - `isearch-yank-kill', but at the beginning.
C-M-y   - `isearch-yank-char', but at the beginning.
M-y     - `isearch-yank-pop', but at the beginning.
M-x C-e - `isearch-yank-line', but at the beginning.

Doesn't that seem natural?

In Isearch+ I have even more than that for yanking.  I would much
rather have a user be able to reuse the same keys in the opposite
direction.