Subject: bug#14742: 24.3.50; enhancement request: be able to prepend stuff from buffer when search backward

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 11:17:44 -0700 (PDT)

Dunno how simple this would be to implement - just a thought/wish.

You can yank stuff from point onto the end of the search string.

When searching backward, it could be handy to be able to yank stuff
BEFORE point progressively onto the BEGINNING of the search string.
IOW, mirror the forward-search behavior.

I realize that in general you add to the end of the search string, even
when searching backward.  But that is presumably partly because there is
no easy way to prepend to it - to do that you need to use `M-e'.

But yanking from the buffer is not like typing text to add to the
search string.  In principle, yanked stuff could be prepended as well as
appended, IIUC.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2013-06-27 on ODIEONE
Bzr revision: 113205 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/c/Devel/emacs/binary --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
 CFLAGS=-O0 -g3 LDFLAGS=-Lc:/Devel/emacs/lib
 CPPFLAGS=-Ic:/Devel/emacs/include'