Subject: Re: bug#1474: 23.0.60; desktop.el don't check if pid in his lock file is always in use

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 09:47:54 +0100

"Juanma Barranquero" <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 07:36, Thierry Volpiatto
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> If emacs process number <owner> doesn't exist, the "else" block is used.
>
> Please explain: if the desktop file that Emacs finds out is locked by
> a process running in another computer, what do you want the local
> Emacs to do?

I am sorry but I don't understand why emacs would find a process on
another computer. In which case ?

I just want emacs to check if the process that is in the lock file is
own by another emacs process.

* If no emacs process with this pid is found ==> load desktop

* If an emacs process with this pid is found ==> ask (default) if we load
  desktop or not

Actually when the .emacs.desktop.lock is found, emacs lock desktop and
ask if we want to use the desktop file, even if the pid that is in the
file is no more in use by an emacs session.

Emacs should do that only if user start a second emacs session, in this
case the lock file will do his work and tell user this desktop is
already in use.

To reproduce, start emacs with (desktop-save 1) in your .emacs
open some buffers, then kill emacs with a killall or similar.
Now no emacs process exist right?
start emacs again, it will tell you an emacs process is using desktop:
thats wrong.

I hope it's clear,
thanks.

-- 
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France