Subject: RE: bug#14734: 24.3.50; REGRESSION: defadvice broken wrt doc strings (C-h f)

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 07:50:13 -0700 (PDT)

> > But I also agree with Drew that the current doctrings for adviced
> > functions are horrible and a big step backwards for users.
> 
> Patches welcome,

The problem is not doc strings but the regression in user interaction.
Perhaps that is what Juanma meant: what the user sees via `C-h f'.

The patch for that is to revert the changes that caused the regression.

There is nothing wrong with providing a new advice mechanism, and a
better one is certainly welcome.  Thank you for working on that.
There is something very wrong, however, if doing that ruins the user
interface.

Advising functions provides a Lisp feature that is usable by Lisp users.
But ALL users make use of `C-h f', and often, and the changes made to
facilitate introducing the new advice have (apparently) broken the user
experience with `C-h f'.

This is a serious regression that deserves to be taken seriously.  The
code that introduced the regression should be backed out immediately, if
fixing it now would be too onerous.