Subject: bug#14720: Result of epa-verify-file ambiguous to the user

From: Mark Evenson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 11:08:56 +0100

Another report of failure to unambiguously inform the user about the
results of epa-verify-file.

Pretty simple to replicate:

  M-x epa-verify-file [RET] /etc/passwd

will result in the minibuffer displaying "Verifying passwd...done."
without any confirmation that the verification has failed.

Even for files with a valid signature:

ls -l ~/Downloads/enigmail-1.6-sm+tb.xpi*
-rw-r--r--@ 1 evenson  staff  1470222 Feb 16 10:05
/Users/evenson/Downloads/enigmail-1.6-sm+tb.xpi
-rw-r--r--@ 1 evenson  staff      203 Feb 16 10:05
/Users/evenson/Downloads/enigmail-1.6-sm+tb.xpi.asc

   M-x epa-verify-file [RET] ~/Downloads/enigmail-1.6-sm+tb.xpi

shows the same message "Verifying enigmail-1.6-sm+tb.xpi...done." with
an ambiguous indication that this command succeeds.

I'm runing gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.16 locally.  Maybe the epa code expects gpg-2.x?

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.0.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.00)
 of 2014-02-12 on quoth.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1265
Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/opt/local' '--with-ns' '--without-x'
 '--without-dbus' 'CC=/usr/bin/clang' 'CFLAGS=-pipe -Os -arch x86_64'
 'LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names -arch
 x86_64' 'CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include''

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Shell

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-f C-b C-d M-l M-b C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-b C-d C-d
M-f C-d M-l C-d M-l C-d M-l C-d M-l C-d M-l <return>
M-x e p a SPC v e r <tab> <return> f i <tab> <return>
<backspace> <backspace> / e t c / p a s s w d <return>
M-x e a <backspace> p a SPC v e r <tab> f <tab> <return>
D o w <tab> e n <tab> i <tab> <return> M-x s C-g g
p g SPC - - v e r s i o n <return> C-x 1 p o r t SPC
i n s <backspace> <backspace> f <backspace> n f o SPC
<M-backspace> s e a r c h SPC g n u p g <return> M-v
M-> p o r t SPC i n f o SPC g p <backspace> n y p g
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> u p g SPC <backspace>
1 <backspace> 2 <return> p o r t SPC c o n t e n s
t <backspace> <backspace> t s SPC g n u p k <backspace>
g 2 <return> M-p C-a M-f M-f <M-backspace> v a r i
a n t s <return> M-p C-a M-f M-f <M-backspace> c a
t <return> M-v M-> / u s r / l o c <tab> b i <tab>
b i t <tab> <return> C-c C-c <return> M-p SPC - - c
h e c k l e v e l - <backspace> = 2 <return> <return>
<help-echo> M-x e m a v SPC <backspace> c SPC r e p
o <tab> t <tab> <backspace> r t SPC <M-backspace> b
u g <tab> C-g M-x e r p o <tab> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> r e p o t <tab> <backspace>
r t - e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Making completion list...
Verifying passwd...done
Making completion list...
Verifying enigmail-1.6-sm+tb.xpi...done
Quit
Mark set
History item: 1 [2 times]
Mark set
History item: 1
Quit

Load-path shadows:
~/work/slime/slime hides /opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/slime
~/work/slime/slime-autoloads hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/slime-autoloads
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-xref-browser hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-xref-browser
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-typeout-frame hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-typeout-frame
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-tramp hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-tramp
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-sprof hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-sprof
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-snapshot hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-snapshot
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-scratch hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-scratch
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-scheme hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-scheme
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-sbcl-exts hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-sbcl-exts
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-repl hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-repl
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-references hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-references
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-presentations hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-presentations
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-presentation-streams hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-presentation-streams
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-parse hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-parse
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-package-fu hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-package-fu
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-mrepl hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-mrepl
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-motd hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-motd
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-media hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-media
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-mdot-fu hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-mdot-fu
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-indentation hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-indentation
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-hyperdoc hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-hyperdoc
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-highlight-edits hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-highlight-edits
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-fuzzy hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-fuzzy
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-fontifying-fu hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-fontifying-fu
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-fancy hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-fancy
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-fancy-trace hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-fancy-trace
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-fancy-inspector hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-fancy-inspector
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-enclosing-context hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-enclosing-context
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-editing-commands hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-editing-commands
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-compiler-notes-tree hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-compiler-notes-tree
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-clipboard hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-clipboard
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-cl-indent hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-cl-indent
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-c-p-c hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-c-p-c
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-banner hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-banner
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-autodoc hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-autodoc
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/slime-asdf hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/slime-asdf
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/inferior-slime hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/inferior-slime
/Users/evenson/work/slime/contrib/bridge hides
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/slime/contrib/bridge

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message idna rfc822 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader doc-view image-mode epa-dired dabbrev locate jka-compr info
conf-mode tla smerge-mode dvc-state dvc-config dvc-diff dvc-fileinfo
diff sendmail tla-gnus dvc-gnus dvc-cmenu dvc-about dvc-version
dvc-revlist misearch multi-isearch dired-aux tabify man help-mode
epa-file epa epg epg-config bzr-core tla-core tla-autoconf tla-defs
dvc-log vc vc-dispatcher dvc-unified dvc-tips dired-x ffap add-log
diff-mode ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-help ediff-util
ediff-mult ediff-init ediff xdarcs-core xgit-core xhg-core xmtn-minimal
dired tramp-cache tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs format-spec
animate eldoc network-stream starttls pcmpl-unix shell pcomplete
w3-autoloads package time mediawiki url-cache mm-url gnus gnus-ems
nnheader mail-utils wid-edit mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
url-http tls url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history mailcap url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source eieio
gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache url-gw url-vars
dvc-autoloads dvc-core dvc-lisp dvc-buffers dvc-ui dvc-register
dvc-utils dvc-emacs dvc-defs dvc-site w3m-load slime-banner warnings
slime-fancy slime-trace-dialog slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu
slime-references slime-scratch slime-presentations slime-fuzzy
slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc slime-parse slime-asdf slime-repl
slime-tests mule-util ert find-func ewoc debug slime byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv derived edmacro kmacro gud compile etags noutline
outline easy-mmode apropos arc-mode archive-mode easymenu pp comint
ansi-color ring hyperspec thingatpt browse-url slime-autoloads server
solarized-theme solarized-definitions cl-macs gv cl
color-theme-autoloads uniquify advice help-fns cl-lib advice-preload ido
time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty
emacs)

-- 
"A screaming comes across the sky.  It has happened before, but there
is nothing to compare to it now."