Subject: bug#14704: 24.3.50; cl-lib breaks built-in Emacs version

From: Sebastian Wiesner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 20:26:27 +0200

2013/6/24 Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>:
> On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 7:51 PM, Sebastian Wiesner <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Who would test your code then before releases if not those who compile
>> from trunk?  You developers obviously don't…  and what is worse, you
>> apparently do even *care*.
>
> Yes, users (and developers) test it. Users file bug reports. Sometimes
> they offer a patch, often they don't. That's fine and good. Users
> don't usually come screaming and demanding.

If I were a usual user, I would just have gone back to a release as
you said.  After all, your bugs and your lack of software testing are
not my problem in the end.

But instead I did you work: I debugged the problem, found the cause,
and reported it.  I am sorry that I did not provide a patch right
away, but I am unfamiliar with your code base, and have not signed any
copyright papers and no intention whatsoever of doing so.  I doubt
that any patch of mine would have been accepted.

I did neither scream nor demand, but I actually expected you to apply
care and attention to your work.  I write tests for my own code, and I
run them, and I expected you to do so as well.  I see now, that you do
not, which is embarrassing to you and very ignorant towards your
users.

By not writing or running tests for *your* code you have wasted *my*
time.  That is what I call “rude”.

>> These three bugs I found are so blatantly obvious and so severe that
>> even the most sloppy manual testing, let alone unit testing, would
>> have revealed them, but all you have to say to such a bad failure is
>> “Boy, this is trunk, go home to mama, and play with old releases”?!
>
> No, more like "go home to mama and ask her again about good manners".

Fine, let's go home than.  I'll ask ma about good manners, and you'll
ask your high school teacher about software testing.  We'll see who of
us learns more on this trip…