Subject: bug#14704: 24.3.50; cl-lib breaks built-in Emacs version

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 21:16:10 +0300

> Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 19:51:20 +0200
> From: Sebastian Wiesner <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> 2013/6/24 Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>:
> > On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Sebastian Wiesner <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> >> This is the 3rd critical package.el bug I discovered within just a week
> >> or so.  Don't you test your code?!
> >
> > If you want well-tested code, stay with Emacs official releases. If
> > you compile from trunk, expect breakages, untested code and potential
> > data loss. Caveat user.
> 
> Who would test your code then before releases if not those who compile
> from trunk?

Each release is preceded by a long pretest period, when we are trying
to collect usage experiences from as many different platforms and
users as possible.

> You developers obviously don't… and what is worse, you apparently do
> even *care*.

I don't think this is a fair comment.  A released version is more
stable than a development snapshot, that's a fact.  It has nothing to
do with caring or not.  It also doesn't only happen due to more
testing: during a pretest, only bugfixes are allowed into the code
base, so potentially destabilizing changes are avoided.

> I am sorry that you do not know about CI, unit testing and software
> quality, but I do, and thus I am horrified by the neglect and
> ignorance you demonstrate in developing one of the most important
> tools of my daily work.

While more testing is always a good thing, some areas in Emacs are
hard to test.  Please consider coming on board and moving Emacs closer
to the CI ideals and testability.  TIA.