Subject: bug#14699: closed (Re: bug#14699: 24.2; describe-syntax function not mentioned in elisp Info manual)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 07:17:04 +0000

Your bug report

#14699: 24.2; describe-syntax function not mentioned in elisp Info manual

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
14699: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=14699
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#14699: 24.2; describe-syntax function not mentioned in elisp Info manual
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 03:16:37 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.4

OK.

Subject: 24.2; describe-syntax function not mentioned in elisp Info manual
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 07:00:56 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgement at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

I was surprised to see that function "describe-syntax" is not mentioned
in the Elisp Info manual.  I would recommend that it should be
mentioned in the section on Syntax Tables.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
c:/Program Files/emacs-24.2/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-08-28 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --cflags
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
-ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Apropos

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  dynamic-completion-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  mail-abbrevs-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
- d o - <backspace> l i s t <return> C-x C-b n n SPC 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <escape> x o c c u r <return> 
<return> C-x o <down> <down> <down> <down> <return> 
C-x 1 C-x C-b n n SPC C-x C-b n n n SPC <up> <return> 
C-x 2 C-x C-b n n SPC <escape> > <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <escape> d C-d C-x C-s <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> C-h v <return> C-x 1 C-v C-v C-v C-v C-v 
C-v C-v C-h i u u 1 n f s y n t a x SPC t a <tab> <return> 
l SPC 2 SPC SPC n u u m c a t e g o r <tab> <return> 
SPC SPC SPC u 3 SPC SPC b u <down> <down> <down> <down> 
<down> <return> u 1 C-h ? SPC s C-x 0 q C-h k C-h s 
i d e s c r i b e - s y n t a x <return> t s d e s 
c r i b e - s y n t a x <return> C-x 1 C-h f d e s 
c r i b e - s y n t a x <return> q s C-g g ( e m a 
c s ) <return> s <return> <tab> <return> t s <return> 
<escape> x s u b m i t <tab> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> a p 
r o p o s - c o m m a n d <return> b u g <return> C-x 
0 C-v <escape> x <escape> p <return> r e p o r t <return> 
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-2> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> q <escape> x r e p o r t - 
e m a c s - b u g <return>

Recent messages:
Searching subfile elisp-6...
Searching subfile elisp-7...
Searching subfile elisp-8...
Searching subfile elisp-9...
Searching subfile elisp-10...
Searching subfile elisp-11...
Info-search: Search failed: "describe-syntax"
Type C-x 1 to remove help window.  
You can run the command `apropos-command' with C-h a [2 times]
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.

Load-path shadows:
c:/Program Files/emacs-24.2/lisp/whitespace hides c:/cygwin/home/elisp/whitespace
c:/Program Files/emacs-24.2/lisp/textmodes/texinfo hides c:/cygwin/home/elisp/my_lisp/texinfo
c:/Program Files/emacs-24.2/lisp/macros hides c:/cygwin/home/elisp/my_lisp/macros
c:/cygwin/home/elisp/eudora hides c:/cygwin/home/elisp/my_lisp/eudora
c:/cygwin/home/elisp/complete-compress hides c:/cygwin/home/elisp/my_lisp/complete-compress

Features:
(shadow mailalias vm-reply vm-rfaddons vm-undo vm-virtual
vm-summary-faces vm-pop utf7 vm-imap vm-thread vm-mime vm-toolbar
vm-menu vm-window vm-folder vm-crypto vm-summary vm-mouse vm-page
vm-motion vm-minibuf vm-message vm-misc vm-macro vm emacsbug message
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 gmm-utils mailheader apropos debug mule-util
ebuff-menu electric jka-compr misearch multi-isearch shell pcomplete
newcomment image-file parse-time vc-cvs cus-edit time vm-autoloads
vm-version vm-vars edmacro kmacro completion cl warnings bookmark+
bookmark+-key easy-mmode advice help-fns advice-preload dired-x dired
crosshairs col-highlight vline hl-line+ hl-line bookmark+-1
bookmark+-bmu help-mode view bookmark+-lit bookmark pp thingatpt
cygwin-mount ange-ftp comint ansi-color ring info easymenu smtpmail
auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv macroexp assoc
password-cache sendmail regexp-opt rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums savehist
mailabbrev gnus gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util mail-utils mm-util
mail-prsvr wid-edit desktop cus-start cus-load time-date tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp
w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty
emacs)

-- 
Alan Wehmann
[email-masked]