Subject: Re: bug#14688: 24.3; todo-show errors: wrong-type-argument and file-error

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 21:11:10 +0200

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 09:25:39 +0800 Leo Liu <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On 2013-06-24 06:18 +0800, Stephen Berman wrote:
>> The patch fixes some other problems beside those you reported, but which
>> arise similarly.  I found them when I tried to reproduce your recipe.
>> When I do exactly the above four steps in your recipe, I actually don't
>> get the errors you reported and the category is displayed normally.
>> However, if between steps 3 and 4 of your recipe I kill the buffer
>> visiting the todo file, then I do get the errors.  But if I don't kill
>> the buffer and also don't save it before trying to use other Todo mode
>> commands, other problems arise.  The patch tries to avoid these problems
>> as well as the ones you reported.
>
> The patch seems to work well. Thanks.

Thanks for checking.  However, I'm convinced that the problem is more
pervasive, and rather than tacking similar patches to each place in the
code it can arise, I'd like to see if I can modularize the fix at least
to some extent.  This may take a bit of time.  In the mean time, I would
suggest that, if you want to use the package more (BTW, thank you very
much for trying it out), you should avoid deleting todo files while the
library is loaded (there's no problem deleting them before loading the
library).  I don't think that should cause any great inconvenience or
problem (or if it does, then that would indicate another bug, which it
would be good to find out about); at least I never had the need to do
that in all the time I was developing the package (which is why I didn't
think to try and prevent the problem).  If I can't come up with a better
solution in a reasonably short time, I'll fall back to a piecemeal
approach, starting with the patch I posted.

Thanks again for testing!

Steve Berman